Oh my goodness, do I have a treat for you today! I’ve been working on this healthy banana bread recipe for so long! Simply because I wanted to create a banana bread recipe that isn’t only delicious but gluten-free and dairy-free! And, finally, I have!
I’ve been toying with it one and off since last fall, and I am so happy with how it turned out! Instead of refined sugar and regular white flour, this version uses almond flour, gluten-free oats, and coconut sugar. Almond flour is naturally gluten-free, high in protein and low in carbs. Therefore, it won’t leave you with the blood sugar ups and downs that come with white flour and refined sugar recipes!
Not to mention, while many of us are trying to stay as healthy as possible right now during quarantine, I thought this would be the perfect time to share this recipe with you! Plus, this recipe is absolutely delicious with the added cinnamon, crunchy oat topping! 😋This recipe also has the perfect hint of sweetness, which I prefer when it comes to banana bread, and it makes the BEST go-to breakfast along with a cup of coffee! But of course, it’s the best go-to healthy treat all day long!
So, with that, let’s get into the recipe!
Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
For The Bread:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 large egg (beaten) *You could also sub the egg for a “flax egg” to make this recipe vegan!*
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cashew or almond milk
- 1 cup almond flour (I use Bob Red Mills brand)
- 1 cup gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick oats!)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or you could always use brown sugar)
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
For The Banana Bread Topping:
1/4 cup gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats
1 Tbsp coconut sugar
1 Tbsp melted vegan butter (I use the Earth Balance sticks ~ but regular butter works just fine, it’s just not dairy-free)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- To make the banana bread topping, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside (you’ll use it at the end).
- To make the bread, mash bananas in a medium bowl (I’ve been using this handy tool each time), then stir in egg and milk. Then, add almond flour, oats, coconut sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Stir just to combine (batter should be lumpy). However, be careful not to over-stir.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased loaf pan or muffin tin, and sprinkle with topping mixture. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Serve and enjoy! 🙂
*In this picture below, I decided to double the recipe for the topping only (to make it extra sweet haha!) and it came out perfect and delicious as well!*
You could also add chocolate chips, walnuts, or even drizzle honey on top for extra sweetness!
I hope you enjoy this banana bread recipe just as much as I do! Not to mention, it’s boyfriend approved too! Marlin loved it, and he doesn’t usually love a lot of healthy recipes that I make haha! But, let me know what you think in the comments below!
Have a beautiful day!