In today’s post, I am sharing a complete list of my favorite products that I personally use and recommend to those who want to waste less, practice sustainability, save money, and reduce their impact on the environment. Additionally, how to use these products to easily create a more sustainable kitchen.
The kitchen is the perfect place to begin practicing sustainability. Not only do our daily food choices affect our health, but it’s also equally essential to be aware of the environmental impact it makes. From food waste to our storage and cleaning products, we have the opportunity every day to make more considerate decisions to benefit our environment.
Therefore, all of these products that I mention below are perfect, easy swaps that you can make when grocery shopping, meal prepping, cleaning, storing, or taking your food/drink on-the-go!
Eco-Friendly Food Storage:
- Mason Jars – I love to use these to hold overnight oats, almond flour, chia seeds, and flaxseed meal in the refrigerator. I also love to use mason jars as on-the-go food storage as well!
- Glass Containers – For storing easy to grab snacks or left-overs.
- Avocado Hugger – To save the other half of your avocado from getting brown.
- Beeswax Food Storage Wrap – I love to use this instead of plastic Saran wrap (cling wrap).
- Reusable Silicone Bags – Perfect for storing food instead of using plastic bags.
- Keurig My K-Cup Universal Reusable Ground Coffee Filter – If you’re a Keurig lover, like me, make the change and swap out those expensive plastic cups for this reusable Keurig gadget, which works with any standard coffee grounds.
- Vejibag Organic Cotton Vegetable Preservation Bag – This environmentally conscious pouch lets your veggies breathe, so they stay fresh for longer (and won’t turn to slime in a plastic bag).
- Misto Olive Oil Sprayer – This one is so cool! If you are a regular user of cooking spray – like Pam for example – then you are going to love this olive oil sprayer. Cooking spray is a lifesaver in the kitchen. But the cans it comes in, not so much. Avoid the recycling hassles + extra money, and switch a waste-free, reusable alternative.
Sustainable On-The-Go Items:
- Travel Coffee Mug or Eco-Friendly, Recyclable Travel Cups – Convenient, eco-friendly, and budget-friendly! Instead of spending money each day and wasting your commute time to buy coffee, I love to travel with either a travel coffee mug or an eco-friendly travel cup that I can recycle.
- Mesh Produce Bags – Perfect for placing fruits and veggies in from the grocery store instead of using a plastic bag. Or, opt for no bag at all. Your produce can still be placed gently in your cart without having to use a bag.
- Reusable Shopping Bags – Sticking to the shopping theme, next time you go to the grocery store, bring a reusable shopping bag from home instead of having to use paper or plastic from the store. *Tip – I love to use insulated ones to keep cold items (meat, dairy, etc.) staying cold, especially in the summer months. I also keep these bags in my car that way I never forget to use them or accidentally leave them at home!
- Insulated Water Bottles – Instead of having to purchase a plastic water bottle. Also, you can keep refilling your insulated water bottle at work or class.
- Stainless Steel Straws – Instead of having to use plastic straws. *Tip – when at a restaurant or when buying an iced coffee, be sure to refuse a straw and just use one of your stainless steel ones instead.
- Bamboo On-The-Go Utensils – Ditch the one time use of plastic utensils and reuse these eco-friendly bamboo utensils. They are perfect for keeping in your purse/bag or in your car when traveling or commuting to work/school.
Non-Toxic Cleaning & Waste Products:
- Kitchen + Home Bamboo Towels – Stop wasting your hard-earned money on weekly/monthly trips to the grocery store to purchase paper towels. These bamboo towels look and feel just like a paper towel (and even fit in your dispenser), but you can wash and reuse ’em up to 120 times before tossing. Considering one roll lasts six months, they’re also a steal.
- Biodegradable Trash Bags – Perfect swap for regular plastic garbage bags, and for all compostable food waste, paper, and other kinds of compostable packaging.
- Glass Spray Bottles – Instead of having to repurchase a new plastic cleaning brand every time you run out.
- Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Liquid Dish Soap – Cruelty-free, plant-based, and comes in multiple scents!
- Cellulose Sponge Towels – These work just as well, if not better, than regular sponges! They are also a perfect addition to add to your sustainable kitchen in order to reduce the usage of paper towels. Plus, you can throw these in the dishwasher to easily clean!
Please don’t feel overwhelmed to tackle all of this at once! Choose one area in your kitchen to focus on, commit to it, and slowly add on as you see fit. And don’t feel like you need all of these items to have a beautiful, sustainable kitchen! Start small and slowly build your sustainable food storage, cleaning products, and waste product collection in a way that works best for you.
If you use any of these products or have any suggestions of your own don’t hesitate to let me know in the comments!
Want some more wellness tips?! I thought so!
Join the easy & free 10 Day Wellness Challenge
And have a new and exciting wellness idea + challenge sent to your inbox each day for 10 days straight!